Re: 1.2 pre-install help on MKL DR3

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: 1.2 pre-install help on MKL DR3
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 20:34:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:

> I can't speak to the specifics of MkLinux, since I don't have the relevant
> hardware, but as far as installing BLT, I just went through that myself:
>
> a) I found that indeed I did have to have the tcl and tk sources available
> (contrary to Paul's experience!)
I don't mean to be petty here, but I did not say you can compile BLT
without the source for tcl/tk. I said you can compile it on one machine
and just copy the compiled library files and stuff and copy them into
a new pc of the same sort.

And my offer still stands. If you have REdhat linux 5.1, I will
send you the same BLT tarball and it will work for you too.

If you need to compile it yourself, the job is not that tough. My
constraint was that the machine in question had no ethernet access, so
getting the tcl/tk source was a problem.  The steps outlined for Swarm 1.1
in the FAQ are still valid and basically they give what you see below.

> b) After going into the relevant blt subdirectory .../unix/Linux and running
> ../configure with the relevant options, I had to edit the resulting
> 'config.BLT' file because the tcl/tk files had not been located.
> b.1) as far as the library files, RedHat 5.1 also has .so instead of .a files,
> located in /usr/lib. I just set "TCLLIBDIR=/usr/lib" and "TKLIBDIR=/usr/lib",
> and that seems to work fine.
> b.2) for the files tcl.h and tk.h, I pointed to the relevant places in the
> source directories, viz.: "TCLINCDIR=/usr/src/tcl8.0/generic" and
> "TKINCDIR=/usr/src/tk8.0/generic" (change as needed for your system).
> c) Then rerun ../configure again, with the same options as before, to get the
> correct makefiles made. (In my case, the whole command line was "# CC=egcs
> LIBS=-lpthread ../configure --prefix=/santafe/5.1".)
> d) then 'make' and 'make install' and things should work. (I didn't run 'make
> check', but heatbugs do the right thing so I'm happy ...)

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700