TkExtra -- Swarm App w/o X

From: Laszlo Gulyas
Subject: TkExtra -- Swarm App w/o X
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:33:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Folks,

I remember there was a thread recently with the word TkExtra in the
subject, but I was unable to find the orginial message. I only found
several answers and those suggested that that was another question.

So, my problem is that in some cases I would like to run my swarm-app
through a terminal which does not have any graphics to it (suppose an old
VT320, eg.). I wrote the code to run in batch mode, and did not use
GUISwarm and no fancy GUI tools anywhere. However, running my app without
X results in the following message:

error: TkExtra (instance)

IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)

I looked at it more closely and it turned out that InitSwarm tries to
initialize TkObjc but fails as no graphics is available.

So my question would be: is it possible to have a fully GUI-less
swarm-app, and if so, how to do it.

I have to admit that I am still using 1.0.2, so this might have been fixed
in later versions.

Thanks in advance!

Gulya
CEU Systems Laboratory