Re: Building Swarm 1.2 on Linux 5.0

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Building Swarm 1.2 on Linux 5.0
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:26:29 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Laurence and Alessandra:

I think this alteration of the Swarm source would be a mistake.  If you get all
the header files for the included packages set correctly, you will have stdarg.h
included somewhere in there.  Swarm will build without such a "hack" if you get
the setup correct.  Hacking here may overcome the problem and make swarm
compile, but programs written that invoke certain features in tclobjc, blt,
tck/tk, or libffi may fail. Furthermore, the bugs introduced by such a hack will
be extremely difficult to track down since the Swarm team members that try to
help would never guess the cause is a change you made in the Swarm source when
in fact you need to fix something else.

I hope Marcus, Alex, Glen, Chris, Benedikt, Nelson, or whoever else
is qualified will intervene here and tell me if I'm wrong.

PJ

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Alessandra Cassar wrote:

> Hiya, you need to include the header file (stdarg.h) that contains the
> va_list definition (the error message was telling you that va_list is not
> defined for CustomProbeMap.m)
>
> So to correct the error in the code, edit
> $SWARMHOME/src/objectbase/CustomProbeMap.m
> and add the following line near the top (I chose line 11)
>
>       #include <stdarg.h>
>
> Note that this problem has nothing to do with Red Hat 5.X.
>
> Good luck,
> Rich McClellan
> address@hidden
>

> > thanks
> >
> > Laurence Clark
> > address@hidden

> >    Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
> >    to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
> >    [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
> >    with "help" in the body of the message.

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700