langtonAntSpace-1.3.tar.gz

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: langtonAntSpace-1.3.tar.gz
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:39:25 +0200

        Hi All,

        at ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/users-contrib/anarchy/ you can find
langtonAntSpace-1.3.tar.gz, which upgrades langtonAntSpace.tar.gz

        Below you'll find the content of the README file. Many thanks for
comments.

        Pietro

README ---
        Pietro Terna (August 29, 1998)

        langtonAntSpace - derived from simpleObserverBug2 - is a
simple Swarm (1.3 v.) program developing a space where one or
more Langton's ants can move. The space is a torus; its
dimensions can be changed via a probe window (in Linux env. must be
a square; in Win32 env. also a rectangular one runs). The same model
probe window allows us: (i) to modify the probability of finding
ex ante traces (see below) in the space (put 0 to avoid traces);
(ii) to establish the number of moving ants (each ant starts in
the N, E, S, W direction on a random basis); (iii) to define if
a single position of the space (a square) can contain many ants
simultaneously (manyAgentsInASquare set to 1) or only one
(manyAgentsInASquare set to 0).
        The observer window allows us: (i) to choose the display
frequency (the program proposal is that of having a refresh of
the display each 100 simulation steps; I'm doing so because I'm
now working with a win32 Swarm installation and display actions
are pretty slow); (ii) to modify the zoom factor.
        To admit the presence of more that one object in a space
position I have substituted the Grid2d class used in
simpleObserverBug2 with the Sven Thommesen's MoGrid2d class. I
have introduced light modifications to this class (they are
noted with a //pt sign).
        The behavior of a Langton's ant is the following: an agent
moves only in the N, E, S, W directions, making one step in each
simulation cycle; if the arriving position contains no trace (no
sign, no pheromone ...) the agent turns 90 degrees to the right
and leaves a sign in the position; otherwise, it turns 90
degrees to the left and clears the position.
        I'm posting this file for two reasons: to receive comments
about the structure that I'm describing below; to communicate a
"surprise effect" of the simulation, due to a curious emerging
property. If we run the program with manyAgentsInASquare set to
0, we observe many reciprocal blocking situations, with agents
assembling if few places of the space; agents seem to follow, in
their movement, paths to attractors, written in the traces left
by themselves of by other agents. The presence of ex ante traces
- i.e., of noise - does not eliminate this effect, which may be
is well known. For me it has been surprising.

        langtonAntSpace is a first step application in a project
regarding the definition of a scheme of  Agents Environment
Rules (AER) simulation models. Within this scheme I will rewrite
in Swarm a neural network tool named CT [see, as an example,
Terna, P.: A Laboratory for Agent Based Computational Economics:
The Self-development of Consistency in Agents' Behaviour. In
Conte, R., Hegselmann, R., Terna, P. (eds.): Simulating Social
Phenomena. Springer, Berlin (1997)]. CT method has the goal of
developing agents wired with soft rules (mainly self developed
with leaning), but I'm preparing the AER scheme so that other
solution could be easily interchanged. At present I'm thinking
about Classifier Systems and rule based systems.
        In this perspective, the following protocol is adopted: the
rules describing the behavior of an agent are managed by a
specialized class of objects, named RuleManager; a ruleManager
receives all the necessary data from each agent; we can have
several ruleManager objects; the interaction with the
environment is allowed only to the agents; the development or
the modifications of the rules are performed by other
specialized classes of objects (RuleMaker classes). (At present,
we have not examples of ruleMaker objects).
        I've also to developed the possibility of writing rules
in script files, using Tcl: See tclTest-1.3.tar.gz