Re: Making Movies: problems

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Making Movies: problems
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:18:41 -0500

At 12:07 PM 9/10/1998 -0700, Marcus wrote:

>ST> 2. The resulting bit maps show only the 'contents' of the windows,
>ST> without the surrounding border decorations, and without the window
>ST> title.
>
>Yes, that was intentional.

Could we possibly have a settable parameter for this?

>ST> 4. If you use fvwm's window manager's 'virtual desktop' feature,
>ST> Pixmap is not able to snapshot widgets that are not on the current
>ST> pane of the current desktop.
>
>I think you'll need to use scripting in your window manager to do that.
>There's no clean, portable way to have Swarm navigating these
>private window manager data structures.

Ummm ... I believe a much earlier version of my program, using code Glen
sent me, was able to handle this. The code may have been fairly tcl/tk
specific. I'll go back and check.

It *may* have had something to do with accessing the widget by its name.

>ST> 5. For curiosity only: if I try to snapshot [widget getParent]
>ST> instead of the widget itself, I get the whole window for probe
>ST> widgets, but not for raster widgets ... ?
>
>As one would expect...

I certainly wouldn't have expected this! If the underlying class is Widget
in all cases (?), why should [widget getParent] be different for a raster
than it is for a probe ? The 'containing window' should be the same in both
cases ?

>ST> And for widgets off the
>ST> current window, I still get a snapshot of the root window, not the
>ST> window the widget is actually on ... ?
>
>Please clarify what you mean by "window".  Are you saying that the virtual
>screens aren't swapped to do snapshots of off-screen widgets?

Curse X terminology on this! Say that my screen resolution in X
(virtual=physical) is 800x600. Say that my 'virtual desktop' is divided
into 6x2 windows of 800x600 each. Label them row-wise: top A,B,C,D. Bottom
E,F,G,H. Say the Control Panel widget is in window A. Say raster aRaster is
on window F.

If I try to do a snapshot of aRaster while focus is on window A, the
program aborts. ("X Error failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter
attributes). Major opcode of failed request: 73 (X_GetImage).")

If I try to do a snapshot of [aRaster getParent], I get a bitmap of ...
window A!?!

Never say computing is dull ;-)

Sven