Re: raster movies

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: raster movies
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:48:43 -0600

This was documented for swarm 1.3 and was fixed in swarm 1.3.1 as I
recall. Give it a try.

Also,If you use the fli making routine that Marcus posted a while back
and Sven wrote a careful description in the email list, be aware that
Redhat's versions of pngtopnm and some of the other utilities that get
used in the script for making movies are no good. I've got executables
available to replace them at
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/
in a file with a name like "pngtopnm-2.37compiled" or such. You should
be able to unzip these and put them in place of your ones that don't
work.

 I think there are one or two other binaries that don't work. They are
ones made available by SUSE and are for libc5 systems (not your Redhat).
If you get to that point of making the fli, please tell me when you get
the seg faults and I can give you replacement binaries (but right now I
can't remember which ones they were).

John Carnahan wrote:

> I am having a problem running heatbugs with screen shots. The code
> compiles fine with the source below.
>
> #######################
> #ifdef SCREENSHOTS
>       {
>         char filename[40];
>         id <Pixmap> pixmap;
>         sprintf(filename,"heatbugs%04u.png",getCurrentTime());
>         pixmap = [Pixmap createBegin: [self getZone]];
>         [pixmap setWidget: nil];
>         pixmap = [pixmap createEnd];
>         [pixmap save: filename];
>         [pixmap drop];
>       }
> #endif
> ######################
>
> The problem occurs during runtime. I get the following error as soon as
> the first image is being made:
>
> ###############################
> libpng error: Invalid number of colors in palette
> *** event raised for error: PixmapError
> Error during PNG write of movie/banambani.rootwindow.0000.png
> *** execution terminating due to error
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I tried turning off Netscape and the like but to no avail. File
> permissions are also not the problem since a file, although corrupt, is
> created. For reference, I am currently running Swarm1.3, RedHat5.1, tk8.0.
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086