Re: png problems

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: png problems
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:21:47 -0600

John Carnahan wrote:

> All,
>
> I believe that there is something wrong with the png files that are
> created by sceenshots in swarm. I have created a small series of images
> and viewed under xv they look fine. I even used pngcheck to test them and
> it does not report any errors. It does report that the images are valid
> 1024 x 768 - 24 bit images. When I try converting these images, however, I
> get fatal errors:
>
> 1. The app 'ptot' spits out the error:
>
>   > ptot banambani.rootwindow.0000.png
>   WARNING: Invalid (but recoverable) PNG file.
>   WARNING: Extra bytes in PNG file ignored.
>   ERROR: Failure reading input file.
>
> and no tiff file is created. I tried running the app on another color png
> file and no such problems.
>
> 2. The app 'pngtopnm' chokes with a segmentation fault. Interestingly a
> semi-valid pnm(ppm) is still created. The new pnm file can be viewed with
> xv and gimp. This file however cannot be converted to anything else by
> pnmtoxxx nor can it be manipulated by the other pnm tools.

I thought I'd posted about this. the binary pngtopnm and several other
of those things distributed with RedHat 5.x simply don't work at all.
And you can't recompile them from teh SRPMS, they fail too. I got newer
source for those png binaries and compiled them and you can find those
compiled things in a zip package with the obvious name (something like
pngtopnmbinaries.tar.gz or such) in this directory

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm

Put the enclosed files in place of the binaries on your system, all
should work.

Next step is the fli making process, with those programs distributed by
SUSE. Those are for libc, not glibc, and won't run as provided. Their
SRPMS are put together very badly and I recompiled those programs from
the source, but now cant recall which in particular cause the trouble.
I've asked a few people to remind me which programs fail, but I never
hear back. If you do find which, let me know, I'll give you a package
with them too. But I did recompile all those and Sven T has confirmed
they work.

> Has anyone else had this problem? Would it be that if I switch my screen
> to 640x480x8 I would not have this problem? I would hate that to be the
> case. I say this since 24 bit screenshots are new to swarm1.3.1. Any ideas
> on where I could start looking to fix this problem would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> John

Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                    Office: (785) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                  FAX: (785) 864-5700