Re: built in rv objects -- "bug" in documenation

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: built in rv objects -- "bug" in documenation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:33:39 -0800

Hi Rick, Alex etc.

It's been a long time (1995-present) that we have been talking about the
ultimate vapor ware, "The Swarm User Guide" (cue Theme from Rocky). Since
Swarm is now being pushed on unwitting graduate students in several
institutes of higher education as the ultimate in agent-based modeling, I
agree that this has become  embarassing - (which is a contender for
'understatement of the decade [TM]' )

How about jump starting this process by setting up a Faq-o-matic on the
SFI site where one could contribute things such as the info that went back
and forth today on swarm-support about random number generation?  Anyone
with an urge to contribute nice hacks, stupid Swarm tricks or answers to
questions on swarm-support, could simply edit his answer and contribute it
to the FAQ (I think that questions should still be directed first to the
list). A jump start to the jump start might be to cull the most frequently
asked questions from the swarm-support list...

I know that Paul already has a Faq-o-matic for Swarm installation
problems, but I think it makes more sense to run this out of SFI, for
example so that Paul doesn't have to be responsible for backups, and also
because one of the resident hivemeisters could then merge this 'emergent
information' into the user guide (fanfare) with all 'em fancy XML tools
you young people use today.

-Benedikt

Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-1777