Re: built in rv objects -- "bug" in documenation

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: built in rv objects -- "bug" in documenation
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:03:43 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions and volunteering.
Being in the middle of teaching swarm, I don't have time
right now to put the page or two together on intro to RNG,
but I would be glad to read and comment on anything anyone
else puts together.   Or I'd be glad to comment on an outline.
After this term I'd be glad to write it.

Just a quick suggestion if someone does do this now:
A user should be able to look at about 1 page to get
  a high-level explanation of
  - where heatbugs gets its random numbers
  - what similar objects and constructs exist to get
    different distributions (ie a couple of examples
     of sending messges to the other built-ins)
  - a few sentences about varyseed

Then the next N pages can be the gentle introduction
to the machinery below those, with examples on how to
set up one's own stack of rng's and distributions, etc.
I think much of what is needed is in some combination of
the FAQ and Sven's long writeup, it just needs to be extracted
and organized in a beginner friendly way.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html