Swarm 1.4 RPMS available

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Swarm 1.4 RPMS available
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:38:15 -0600

Get them here

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm

If these don't work on your system, let me know and I'll figure what is
fouled up this time. If you try them soon, and they do work, please send
me a note so I can stop worrying about it.

At that site, you will see this nifty announcement too:

Paul Johnson
January 28, 1999

You've found the Swarm Toolkit distributed for users of the Redhat
Packaging System. These packages were built by me on my Redhat 5.2
system, which has all the updates/errata installed as of this date. If
you have RPM installed on a different variety of linux, chances are it
will still work if you have appropriate versions of blt, tcl/tk, xpm,
xpm-devel,and so forth. If the RPM provided here does not work in your
system, why not take the easy route and grab the SRPM file. That
contains the swarm source code as well as a SPEC file that you can
tailor in order to build a swarm RPM for your specific installation.

If you want older versions of these rpms, some are saved in the
directory named "OLD_STUFF".

After some testing and experimentation, I feel confident in the
statement "there are no big problems." Redhat 5.2 includes tcl/tk 8.0.3
and blt2.4f and so all users need to do is install libffi and the swarm
rpm.

If you need to install Swarm 1.3.1 in order to run some older
applications, be advised of the following. This version will not work
with tcl/tk 8.0.3, so you need to remove those and install the tcl/tk
8.0.2 that came with Redhat 5.1. You need some version of blt (either
8.0 unofficial or 2.4e or f), and libffi. Be advised further it may be
necessary to set the SWARMHOME environment
variable.

In summary, to use Swarm on a RedHat 5.2 system, you need to get

1. libffi-1.18-1.i386.rpm

2. swarm-1.4-1.i386.rpm

The RPMS will install all this stuff into the /usr hierarchy and then to
try out some swarm programs grab the swarmapps-1.4.tar.gz, unpack it,
and fix the Makefiles to suit your needs. If you install the RPMS as I
prepared them, change the SWARMHOME to /usr at the top of the Makefile
and double-check that the line that includes Makefile.appl is: include
$(SWARMHOME)/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl . Then type "make" and then run the
program by typing ./program-name.

If you have any questions, please send me a note at address@hidden
Consider reading up in the Swarm homepage at:
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm
and you might also consider joining the fine e-mail list
address@hidden If you dream up a question that stumps the
panel of experts, or you accidentally utter the secret word, you will be
the recipient of the same luscious gifts that have been received by all
previous contestants. And your question may appear in the FAQ too.
That's all (for now) at
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html

PJ
Lawrence, Kansas
University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086