Re: Swarm 1.3.1 on Windows95/98

From: donalson
Subject: Re: Swarm 1.3.1 on Windows95/98
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:22:39 -0800

Benedikt,

   I am running win98 and am not having any problems.  As a matter of fact, I
have
been doing 1.9->2.0->1.9->2.0 installs all day.  Hi Marcus...

The only time I remember that type of error was maybe when it is not installed
on
drive C:?
Make sure that you do "uninstalls" between trys.

Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> > That means that CYGFS isn't set.  The Swarm install procedure
> > sets that in the environment registry in the case of NT, and in
> > autoexec.bat in the case of Windows 95/98.  Perhaps if you are trying
> > to rig up a network install, this was the oversight.
>
> I was referring to students that tried to do this at home on machines with the
> latest version of Windows 95 and Windows 98. We haven't installed Cygwin on a
> network at all.
>
> Can you think of any reason why the autoexec.bat file is only updated on the
> n-th attempted install where n > 1?
>
> > B> Finally, one request for the upcoming 1.4.1 CD-ROM: Please add 'Install
> > B> Emacs'
> >
> > Sorry, it is enough work to maintain our own InstallShield package
> > for Swarm.  I definitely don't have time to do it for a third party package.
>
> I was actually thinking of something much simpler than a whole InstallShield,
> like a shell script that copied the Emacs subdirectory over and ran addpm.exe
> (and a similar procedure for copying over the demo apps source code). Have to
> admit that I don't know if this is feasible or how difficult it would be to
> implement.
>
> Thanks,
> -Benedikt
>
> --
> ----------------
> Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
> Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
> Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-1777

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*