re: Infile ; R

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: re: Infile ; R
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:01:17 -0500 (EST)

I can understand your position regarding changing the
existing methods for InFile.

I would suggest at the least the next release of the refmanual
say something at the top of the page for things like Infile
to warn users away from using them.
Why?   Because its a real pain for new users to figure
out what is and what isn't "advisable" to use in new development.
Students I have look through the refmanual (as I suggest) to
find classes that do what they need, only to learn
(after hours of struggle maybe) that something isn't very
useful and is not (basically) supported, and that
the swarm team is recommending some other approach
(to file input, for example).

On a related topic --- re R: you said:
> 2. First, run R, the version at:
> ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/support-software

Are the changes in this version going to make it back into
the main distribution of R, or are we going to have to
(potentially) support two versions of R for the indefinite future?

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html