compiling/running swarm 1.4.1 applications on debian

From: Daniel Jack Livingstone
Subject: compiling/running swarm 1.4.1 applications on debian
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:21:40 +0000

Im having problems compiling and running swarm applications.
Im using Swarm 1.4.1 on debian (binary install)

The following problems occur (all tested on heatbugs)

1. Using gcc

  linker error: cannot open -lobjc

(or sometimes errors that objc/objc.h and other objc files are not found)

  gcc (2.7.2.3) has installed without objective-c support!

so, I thought I'd try egcc:

2. Using egcc (incredibly minor change to Makefile.common to do this)

I get a list of warnings during linking all of the type:

 type and size of dynamic symbol '__objc_class_name_SwarmObject' are not defined

 (ditto for ZoomRaster, GUISwarm, etc etc etc)

Then I get a seg fault when I try to run heatbugs (ditto under gdb)

I cant find any other problems with Makefile.common, all directories appear
to be specified correctly.

any ideas? solutions?

thanks

daniel