linking problem?

From: Matthew M Murphy
Subject: linking problem?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 02:04:42 -0500 (EST)

After upgrading to egcs-1.1.1-8, I have again begun to encounter the
following warnings when I attempt to compile swarm apps:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_ZoomRaster' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_GUISwarm' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_EmptyProbeMap' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_EZGraph' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Grid2d' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Object2dDisplay' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Value2dDisplay' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Swarm' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_ObjectLoader' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Diffuse2d' are not defined
/usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_Colormap' are not defined

When I rebuilt Swarm, the install script gave me the following info that I
suspect may be involved in the errors that I'm experiencing:

Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/local/lib

To link against installed libraries in a given directory, LIBDIR,
you must use the `-LLIBDIR' flag during linking.

 You will also need to do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
 - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

I know that the LIBDIR is in /etc/ld.so.conf, however I am not sure how to
perform the other modifications.  My question is, could the errors I am
receiving have resulted from the fact that I may not have made enough of
the modifications listed above?  If so, I would appreciate a bit of
guidance on how to go about making the modifications.  If not, any other
suggestions would be helpful, particularly if my best bet would be to
revert to the older version of the complier.

-=- Matt