Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 18:58:52 +0100 (BST)

On 5 May 1999, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> Although it is a small thing to make a new tar-ball of HDF5, I just
> don't want to go down that road.  See, binary distributions are one
> thing, but distributing variant sources just encourages folks to be
> superstitious and grab stuff from SFI, forgetting that these packages
> actually have maintainers.
>
> We would like to have the resources to insulate users from the fact
> that Swarm is made up of components, and we try, but as a public
> service we can only go so far.  If folks want more, I suggest
> you contact Swarm Corporation <address@hidden>.  Failing that, send
> me e-mail.  We'll work something out.  ;-)

I meant this not for me as I have gone through this installation now, but
for others. Although I understand your reservation about creating variants
of sources, let's be realistic about this: Who didn't grab the stuff from
SFI anyway? I was, believe it or not, rather concerned about _your_
limited resources. I think that such a fix, although against principles,
gives users and therefore ultimately the Swarm hive less trouble, in
short, _you_ will save time.

> MD>  Try putting "extern " in front of "id <TkExtra> globalInterp" in
> MD> src/tkobjc/global.h and re-installing that module.  This looks to
> MD> me like a bug in the version of GNU ld that is distributed with
> MD> SuSE (it doesn't happen to me on Solaris 2.7 or slink Debian).
>
> JK> Hm, this didn't fix it. Any other suggestions?
>
> With that patch if you run this from your src/tkobjc build area, you
> should just one line:
>
>   $ for i in *.lo; do out=`nm $i | grep '[^U] globalTkInterp'`; if test -n
> "$out" ; then echo -- $i -- ; echo $out ; fi ; done
>
>   00000004 C globalTkInterp
>
> Do you?  Did you double check by cleaning the directory before the rebuild?

OK, after changing *.lo into *.o, asssuming that's what I should do, I get
this output:
-- tkobjc.o --
00000004 C globalTkInterp

So, I guess I should find myself a new linker and not bother you. It's
just that you're so good at problem-solving ;-)

Thanks, Jan.