Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Strange compiler warnings with heatbugs
Date: 04 May 1999 15:28:57 -0700

JK> hdf5: had the
JK> error Paul Johnson reported a while ago and used the fix Marcus
JK> suggested. Maybe the source could be patched in this way?

The bug is reported, anyway.

JK> /home/jan/swarm-1.4.1/lib/libtkobjc.a(ButtonPanel.o): warning:
JK> multiple common of `globalTkInterp'

Try putting "extern " in front of "id <TkExtra> globalInterp" in
src/tkobjc/global.h and re-installing that module.  This looks to me
like a bug in the version of GNU ld that is distributed with SuSE
(it doesn't happen to me on Solaris 2.7 or slink Debian).

JK> So, is
JK> the bug fix somewhere else then in the code snippet in the
JK> SwarmFaq?

GNU/Linux distributors often don't use official GNU releases; they
will often tweak things for one reason or another.  It could be that
SuSE fixed this or is using a version of GCC that doesn't have the
problem.

One advantage of the GNU autoconf approach to configuration
(noting *behavior* and not about judging things from their name),
is that the build adapts to the environment.  Throwing up our hands
and saying "that damned system", and recording some conservative workaround
for a whole class of related systems would result in a needless penalty
for many users.

In general, even temporary, identifiable facts like the GCC inling bug
and glibc header problem should be fixed with autoconfiguration logic
(not FAQ entries), since sometimes people don't upgrade for months and
years at a time.

FAQ entries are appropriate when the problem is poorly understood, and
it isn't feasible to have a motivated person get the bottom of things.