Re: Correction! Problems running SimpleObjCBug (tutorial)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Correction! Problems running SimpleObjCBug (tutorial)
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 13:23:16 -0500

Dear Natalie:

I've sort-of volunteered myself as the helper for RedHat users.  I can
tell you that the warnings you see about symbols not defined are a normal
problem on RH6.0 and they are not related to the crash you see.

In order to diagnose the cause of your crash, can you please supply the
following information.

1. How did you install swarm?  (if an RPM was used, which?  If the RPM
for RH6 caused the error you see, then the problem must be my fault and I
have some research to do...)

2.  After the segfault, please use gdb to get a backtrace.  If the
executable is called "program", do
 $  gdb program
 $ run
after the crash, type
 $bt
And show us the resulting backtrace.

If your RH6 is like mine, the gdb program is faulty and will segfault,
how discouraging. From the ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/needed-software, you
can find a gdb version 4.16 compiled for linux.  Download that, untar it,
copy it over /usr/bin/gdb.

3.  Do any of the swarmapps work?  Go to some other swarmapp, such as
heatbugs.  (You have to set the environment variable SWARMHOME or edit
the Makefile, remember).  Try to make and run that.

Good luck, if you don't want to address the whole list with your RH
questions,  you can mail me directly.