Re: Help on walking lists of Swarm Collection

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Help on walking lists of Swarm Collection
Date: 11 May 1999 13:25:54 -0700

WS> I thought the notify function (via addRef:withArgument) is used
WS> only when dropping objects -- that is, when the drop method is
WS> invoked directly or otherwise!

Right, using the notify function would only apply in the case of
removal and deletion of populations from the colonyList.  In any case,
my point is that access and mutation of colonyList can be localized.
If you do this, if you organize things such that an expected mutation
of colonyList sets a flag, the access method can do the right thing to
adapt (e.g. recreating the index).  Just one general approach.

WS> Do you mean I send a message as: [objY removeRef: objXVariable];
WS> instead?

Yes.  (References are actually stored in a list in the object that is
set up to do the notification.)