Re: Oh heck. Glibc 2.1 (was Re: Problem with tutorial for swarm-1.4.1

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Oh heck. Glibc 2.1 (was Re: Problem with tutorial for swarm-1.4.1
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:51:58 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> PJ> `__objc_class_name_Grid2d' are not defined
>
> MD> This is a long standing bug in the Objective C compiler that new
> MD> versions of binutils makes evident.
>
> Ok, I believe this should do it.  Works on Solaris and Debian, at least.

I'm in the process of recompiling egcs with this patch included.   Tell me
this:

1. Do you think it is "good enough" if I patch egcs-1.1.2 and recompile the
packages?  I can just begin with the RH SRPM package and add a patch.
That's much easier than trying to take the egcs snapshot and figure out
which of the patches redhat applied are still needed (not necessarily out
of my league, but still a bother).  The new patch does apply cleanly to the
1.1.2 source.

2. Suppose the egcs package re-build works and i end up with egcs packages
for the base, c++, fortran, libstdc++, and objc. Is it sufficient to leave
all the old packages and just install the new objc package?  Good, if so.

3. Swarm must be recompiled after this change in egcs, correct?

4. Can I count this as public service when I apply for promotion?