New RH6 RPMs for Swarm

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: New RH6 RPMs for Swarm
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:44:29 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> Argh, sorry.  Let me try again: provided you build the Swarm RPMs with your
> hacked gcc, Swarm users won't need a hacked gcc.

Assuming I understand Marcus's note, I've built the egcs 1.1.2 with his patch,
then after installing the egcs-objc package (leaving all the rest of egcs the
same as in RH6), then I rebuilt swarm-1.4.1.  That is the "hacked" swarm-1.4.1
package I made available about a week ago.

Then I installed the new swarm package, then I compiled some swarm apps, and
VOILA, no more warnings about the symbols!

I would like to ask a "guinea pig" or two to try to install this new RPM and
see if it works, leaving your egcs-objc as it was before.  It is here at

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/RPMSforRH6-glibc2.1/swarm-with-hdf5-RH6-egcscorrected-1.4.1-1.i386.rpm

If it works or does not, I would be glad to know.

Unfortunately, this change does not solve the segfault I have been
experiencing in my app since upgrading to RH6, so don't get your hopes up too
much.  I'm seeing a problem that apps which did run under RH5.2 now segfault,
for reasons I'm working hard to solve (and hoped the egcs-objc business would
fix, but it did not)...