Re: Exasperating memory corruption

From: William S. Shu
Subject: Re: Exasperating memory corruption
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:28:03 +0100

>I've seen this problem happen when I forget to include the "return self"
>at the end of methods.  Looking through your code, it appears you may
>have the same problem.

Is this a bug (oops! feature) of Objective-C?  I would have thought this
would be probematic only with methods that are expect to return.  I can go
through my code and insert returns, but I would not want to return self if I
may later (inadvertently) use it unwisely.  In fact, some of my use of
returned id helps indicate if a method successfully carried out a given
operation.

On a separate note: the Default type returned is id (when none is
specified).  Is it safe to assume that nil is returned when return value is
not explicit?  (Not that I dream of using values I did not expect!)

>The frustrating thing about this mistake is that gdb is so totally
>uninformative!  You don't always get the exact same segfault either.
Yeah!  I've got sore eyes and thin patience to prove it!

William.