Re: gcc puts executable code on the stack frame

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: gcc puts executable code on the stack frame
Date: 25 May 1999 17:30:44 -0700

KC> Are we talked 'bout the same thing-ama-do ?

Yep.

KC> PS: As I recall, nested functions was one of gcc features that
KC> couldn't be used on "[pain-in-the] AIX". See
KC> http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9704/0050.html

In 2.0, we'll be distributing a custom libobjc (so that we can build
it shared, which we need to do so that Swarm will load dynamically
into Java environments), and this libobjc will detached from GCC
sources.  The GCC backend for AIX is different from other backends in
the way it uses internal GCC macros, and it isn't really feasible to
mirror all this knowledge in Swarm without a lot of work.  So I'm
quite confident AIX will be broken in 2.0.

Besides that, I don't think the Objective C runtime will even compile
for AIX from reference egcs sources -- the replacement macros used in
the runtime distributed with the compiler do substitutions that don't
make sense, and shouldn't compile.

Anyway, it's all fixable, but it will require extended hands-on access to
an AIX machine, which we don't have.