Announcing SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Announcing SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:19:51 -0500

Dear Swarm Users:

You may have noticed during this Spring that Marcus Daniels has been
posting small programs that can be used to test specific elements of
Swarm.  These are typically one file of code along with a Local
Variables statement at the end that is recognized by Emacs as the
compile command.  I have lost some examples and will go through the
email list archive to find them again, so I don't have a complete list,
but I believe this was the first one:
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9903/0145.html
and there are others like:
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9810/0034.html
or
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9903/0013.html

I think these are great!  There are many times that people want to test
specific little swarm things without the distraction of a whole big
program.
It seems to me we see a lot of FAQ that deal with "how do I use X or Y",
such as sets, so I'm collecting these things and posting them here:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode/

I'll eventually create a FAQ entry with a title like "How can I test a
specific swarm feature" that points at this page.  I'm also posting
there an Obj-c "hello world" program that a friend at UCLA asked me to
look at (because it did not work as posted on DeKorte's Obj-C page).

The files that are tarred&gzipped are ones that I have tested and run
and can say with a straight face "these are provided to you without any
warranty of fitness or merchantability..." but they work.  The ones that
are .txt are ones I've just copied out of Marcus's emails.

In Marcus's examples, he has the Local Variables for the solaris setup
at SFI.  Not all examples are identical because his setup changes
sometimes, but an example is something like this:

/*
Local Variables:
compile-command: "/opt/egcs/bin/gcc -o x -g -Wno-import
-L/opt/SUNWtcl/sun4/lib -R/opt/SUNWtcl/sun4/lib
-L/opt/SDGblt/2.4g/lib -R/opt/SDGblt/2.4g/lib -L/opt/SDGlibffi/1.20/lib
-R/opt/SDGlibffi/1.20/lib
-L/opt/SDGswarm/1.4.1/lib -L/opt/SDGzlib/1.1.3/lib
-L/opt/SDGhdf5/1.0.1/lib -R/opt/SDGhdf5/1.0.1/lib -L/usr/local/X11/lib
-R/usr/local/X11/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -I/opt/SDGhdf5/1.0.1/lib
-I/opt/SDGswarm/1.4.1/include x.m -lsimtools -lsimtoolsgui -lactivity
-ltkobjc -lrandom -lobjectbase -ldefobj -lcollections
-lmisc -ltclobjc -ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0 -lBLT -lsocket -ldl -lnsl
-L/usr/openwin/lib -lhdf5 -lpng -lz -lXpm -lX11 -lffi -lm -lobjc
-lposix4"
End:
*/

I have a working "boilerplate" on my RedHat Linux system like this:

/*
Local Variables:
compile-command: "egcs -o pj1 main.m -g -fno-inline -L/usr/lib/swarm
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -I/usr/include/swarm -lanalysis -lsimtools
-lsimtoolsgui -lactivity -ltkobjc -lrandom -lobjectbase  -ldefobj
-lspace -lanalysis -lsimtools -lsimtoolsgui -ltkobjc -ltclobjc
-lactivity -lrandom -lobjectbase -lcollections -ldefobj -lmisc -lBLT
-ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0 -lXpm -lpng -lhdf5 -lz -lffi -lX11 -lm -lobjc -lpthread
-ldl -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/swarm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib  "
End:
*/

Your mileage may vary, but I have found this approach to be highly
useful.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn