Re: Remote messaging

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Remote messaging
Date: 11 Aug 1999 08:37:34 -0700

AVK> In the Objective C book (the one from the Apple site) is a
AVK> section about remote messaging as a means for interprocess
AVK> communication. Since only the distributed objects architecture of
AVK> OPENSTEP is described in this book I'd like to know if something
AVK> similar to this architecture is present in Swarm.

The current sources have portable and fairly well tested code for
taking apart messages type by type and putting them back together.
In practice, this is probably the primary obstacle to remote messaging.
(But we're not using it for remote messaging, we're using it for Java <->
Objective C communication.)

Another capability that Swarm provides for distributed objects is
object serialization.  This is where your take apart an object type
by type and put it back together, e.g. on the other end of a wire.