Re: Irix-6.5, Swarm-2.0.1

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Irix-6.5, Swarm-2.0.1
Date: 09 Oct 1999 01:48:02 -0700

JS> When I run gmake check, it stops with error messages :
JS> ld32: ERROR 33 : Unresolved text symbol "initSimtoolsGUI" -- 1st
JS> referenced by

Java config or not, on your machine I don't get this.  I'm even using
the compiler you installed!

However, I did have a lot of trouble with the new installs of Tcl/Tk/BLT.
Yucky shared library constructor crashes.

So I did local reinstalls of Tcl/Tk 8.2b3, BLT2.4j (using your new
compiler, not mine) and Objective C Swarm models work again.  I
suggest you do the same.  You might as well rebuild libpng and zlib
to get shared versions, too.  (Java needs everything to be shared in
order to load Swarm.)

Kaffe 1.0b4 is too broken to use on Irix 6.5.  At various times since
1.0b4 there have been working snapshots, but now is not one of those
times.  On the plus side, it looks like the JDK 1.1.6 that is
installed will work (eventually).  Java mousetrap starts up, at least.
But there is some kind of subtle ABI problem between N32 libffi and
the Irix N32 Java runtime libraries.  It should be fixed by the next
minor release of Swarm, but I won't have time in the next two weeks or
so to do anything about it.  Sorry.

Fwiw, in ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/testing/swarm-1999-10-09.tar.gz
I've added the needed autoconf checks to correctly configure Swarm
for Irix 6.5's JDK 1.1.6.