Re: gcc tries to execute code on stack [again]

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: gcc tries to execute code on stack [again]
Date: 08 Oct 1999 12:17:40 -0700

DD> Are there any alternatives to discussions about security and
DD> security paranoia with my admins? (Would be a discussion with
DD> predictable result.)

There's no easy solution that I know of, other than to disable this flag.

I know that the 64 bit V9 ABI always has the stack be non-executable,
and that new versions of gcc run mprotect whenever it is necessary to
get executable memory regions on the stack (but not in 32 bit configurations).

So, one idea is to set up such a configuration.  I've had problems
in the past doing this and I think there will be assembly format
problems in avcall (and libffi is buggy on sparc).  Doable, but a big
hassle.  I don't even think gcc-2.95 cleanly builds with the 64 bit
support; I think you'd have to grab a snapshot from egcs.cygnus.com.

Maybe you can persuade your sysadmins to enable executable stack content
just on the machine you use?

For now, I'll reserve advice on Dealing with Inflexible Sysadmins until
its absolutely necessary.  ;-)