Re: Irix-6.5, Swarm-2.0.1

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Irix-6.5, Swarm-2.0.1
Date: 20 Oct 1999 21:52:46 -0700

me> Kaffe 1.0b4 is too broken to use on Irix 6.5.

Update: Kaffe 1.0.5 was released on Monday, and it works with Swarm¹
on Irix 6.5.  The new JIT3 compiler doesn't work out-of-the-box, but
configuring Kaffe with --with-engine=intrp avoids that problem.  Using
the interpreter instead of the just-in-time compiler means Java models
will be slower than they would otherwise be.  I have some patches to
get the JIT working, but they need more testing -- if it is real issue
for you let me know.

On this particular Irix 6.5 machine, there are libpng and zlib shared
libraries in /usr/lib32.  When libkaffeswarm is loaded into Kaffe, rld
wants to take /usr/lib32/libpng.so even if I encode an rpath to
another place, set _RLDN32_ROOT, or set LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH.  This was
sufficiently annoying that I added autoconf support to completely
disable PNG and zlib (i.e. Pixmaps and screenshots).  To do this
specify --without-pngdir at configure-time.

¹ ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/testing/swarm-1999-10-20.tar.gz