Re: BLT2.4j problems

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: BLT2.4j problems
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:38:33 -0500

You probably need to study a bit on the RPM program.

RPM's database does not know anything about software you compile and
install yourself. It only knows about things you install from RPM.  SO,
you built blt, and then RPM knows nothing about it.

If you installed blt with the prefix /usr, then tell the swarm rpm
--nodeps when you install (that's two dashes, short for "no
dependencies).  It will use the blt you have, I think.  It may crash
because the blt you have is not exactly the one it expects.

I don't quite understand why you built your own blt when there is an rpm
for it in the RedHat distribution, though.  If I were you, I'd just use
that.  That's what we tell everybody to do.

I see Alex has prepared a nice document about it here:
ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/redhat/RPMS/i386/README.i386

And for my RPMS, I think it is explained here

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.0_RPMSforRH6

And there is an entry in the FAQ that explains it here:

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#2.1

I got the error message that follows: