Re: Making a static binary (help!)

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Making a static binary (help!)
Date: 19 Oct 1999 23:09:08 -0600

JG> Hey, I wanted to make a static binary from my simulation-- can I
JG> edit the makefile to create one?  Help!

No need to edit the Makefile, try this:

$ make EXTRALDFLAGS=-static

This will force libtool to use static libraries in preference to
shared libraries at any stage of the linking process.

Note that Swarm static libraries must exist in your installation in
these cases (and static libraries for blt, tcl, tk etc must also
exist, if you wish your binary to not expect shared libraries for them
to reside wherever you run your binary).

At some point you may eventually reach system libraries which don't
have static versions, and these will be still be linked dynamically at
run-time.

You could also try playing around with the `-all-static' option to
libtool, but your mileage may vary:

$ make EXTRALDFLAGS=-all-static

Alex

--