Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5

From: Charles Staelin
Subject: Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:21:45 -0400

I am installing Swarm 2.0.1 on an SGI IRIX 6.5 machine.  Some of the
libraries have installed easily (libffi, png, zlib) and some are already
available (tk and tcl, both version 8.0.3).  However BLT2.4g is giving me a
devil of a time with many compilation warnings about symbol definitions and
then run-time errors on the test program.  The system uses gcc version 2.8.1
and gmake version 3.76.1.

I'm wondering if there are special issues with IRIX that I should know
about.  The FAQ and a search of the support archive gives hints that IRIX is
not straightforward, but I've found nothing that says definitively what
version of what works with what under IRIX 6.5, or if  there are any special
patches that are necessary.  E.g., do I need to install the newer versions
of gcc and gmake?

Does anyone know of a document/mail message/whatever that talks about
installing Swarm and these libraries under IRIX 6.5?  Has anyone had
experience in doing so?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Charles Staelin

Charles Staelin                email: address@hidden
Department of Economics
Smith College                  phone: (413) 585-3621
Northampton, MA 01063            fax: (413) 585-3393