Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:40:36 -0400

Charles Staelin wrote:

> I am installing Swarm 2.0.1 on an SGI IRIX 6.5 machine.  Some of the
> libraries have installed easily (libffi, png, zlib) and some are already
> available (tk and tcl, both version 8.0.3).  However BLT2.4g is giving me a
> devil of a time with many compilation warnings about symbol definitions and
> then run-time errors on the test program.  The system uses gcc version 2.8.1
> and gmake version 3.76.1.
>
> I'm wondering if there are special issues with IRIX that I should know
> about.  The FAQ and a search of the support archive gives hints that IRIX is
> not straightforward, but I've found nothing that says definitively what
> version of what works with what under IRIX 6.5, or if  there are any special
> patches that are necessary.  E.g., do I need to install the newer versions
> of gcc and gmake?
>
> Does anyone know of a document/mail message/whatever that talks about
> installing Swarm and these libraries under IRIX 6.5?  Has anyone had
> experience in doing so?
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

I installed Swarm-2.0.1 on SGI IRIX -6.5 machine.  But I did not use any
of the packages that came with the machine. I installed make version
3.77,
gcc-2.95.1, tcl-8.2.1, tk-8.2.1, blt-2.4j, libffi-1.20, libpng-1.0.3,
zlib-1.1.3.
I had to also install libtool-1.3.3.  The only package I used that was
on SGI
was the xpm library.

If you are interested in specific instructions of how to install I will
post
my notes I made when I installed all these packages.

Jayshree Sarma