Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.0.1 on IRIX 6.5
Date: 26 Oct 1999 09:32:19 -0700

CS> The system uses gcc version 2.8.1 and gmake version 3.76.1.

GCC 2.8.1 hasn't been tested by anyone as far as I know.
I suggest you go ahead and install GCC 2.95.1, applying this patch:

ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/needed-software/diffs/objc.diff

Like so:

  $ cd gcc-2.95.1/gcc/objc
  $ patch < objc.diff

Your gmake should be ok, the only thing you'll really get from
the new version of GNU make is that the parallel build option (-j)
handles hierarchies of makes, i.e. if you ask make to run four
processes at a time, it won't multiply by four every time it goes
down into a subdirectory.

CS> Does anyone know of a document/mail message/whatever that talks
CS> about installing Swarm and these libraries under IRIX 6.5?  Has
CS> anyone had experience in doing so?

Some general advice is to make some scripts that document a
configure/make command that works.  Then it is easy to remember how to
do rebuilds when new versions come out.  It's a often a false economy
spend time figuring out why provided or previously-installed
libraries don't work.  Just install the latest versions somewhere else
on the system.  It isn't necessary to use /usr/local or have root
permissions to build and install these libraries; they can go anywhere.

CS> However BLT2.4g is giving me a
CS> devil of a time with many compilation warnings about symbol definitions and
CS> then run-time errors on the test program.

The install of BLT2.4j I use on Irix 6.5 was built like this:

#!/bin/sh
SRCDIR=$S/blt2.4j
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc $SRCDIR/configure --srcdir=$SRCDIR
--prefix=$P/swarm/blt2.4 --enable-shared --with-tcl=$P/swarm/tcl8.2
--with-tk=$P/swarm/tk8.2
make

I built Tcl 8.2 like this:

#!/bin/sh
SRC=$S/tcl8.2b3/unix
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH $SRC/configure --prefix=$P/swarm/tcl8.2 --enable-gcc
--enable-shared --srcdir=$SRC
make

..and Tk 8.2 like this:

#!/bin/sh
SRCDIR=$S/tk8.2b3/unix
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH $SRCDIR/configure --prefix=$P/swarm/tk8.2 --with-x
--enable-gcc --enable-shared --srcdir=$SRCDIR --with-tcl=$B/tcl8.2b3
make

CS> I'm wondering if there are special issues with IRIX that I should know
CS> about.

One issue unique to IRIX is that there different types of object code
(o32, n32, 64), and that you don't want to inadvertly mix libraries of
these object code types.  You probably want to build with n32, which
is what GCC 2.95.1 will set up as the default.

Another issue, w.r.t. Java, is that SGI's JDK 1.1 doesn't work with
Swarm.  Kaffe 1.0.5 configured using the --with-engine=intrp option
is known to work.