Installation of Swarm-2.0.1 on SGI IRIX 6.5

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: Installation of Swarm-2.0.1 on SGI IRIX 6.5
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:10:49 -0400

Hi,
 I have enclosed my installation notes. Paul, you are welcome to
add it to your FAQ.

Note, I did do "make distclean" in the directories of the earlier
installed packages. But still I had problems and then had to delete
the entire directory and build again.

Jayshree Sarma

Installing Swarm-2.0.1 on SGI IRIX machine running version 6.5
operating system.

Downdownloaded the following from the ftp site at santafe:
(ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/needed-software)

BLT2.4j.tar.gz
gcc-2.95.1.tar.gz
hdf5-1.2.0-beta1-update2.tar.gz
libffi-1.20.tar.gz
libpng-1.0.3.tar.gz
make-3.77.tar.gz
zlib-1.1.3.tar.gz

tcl and tk were downloaded from www.scriptics.com:
 tcl8.2.1.tar.gz
 tk8.2.1.tar.gz

All the required software are installed in /usr/local directory. (You
can choose any directory you want.)

We used gnu make rather than the "make" that came with the sgi machine
as it did not work (kept giving error messages).

1) gnu make-3.77.
  This was straightforward, no changes required in any files.
  %  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
  %  sh build-sh

  make was installed in /usr/local/bin. A link was created from "make"
  to "gmake" (gnu-make) in /usr/local/bin.

  % gmake install

  The compiler used was the SGI cc since gcc was not installed. A bunch
  of warnings were printed which may be due to using cc and not gcc.
  ld32 warnings also show up which can be ignored.

2) gcc-2.95.1
   The source is in /usr/local/gnu/gcc-2.95.1 and the build/object
   directory is /usr/local/gcc-2.95.1.

   configure, make, then install.

   % /name-of-source-directory/configure --prefix=/usr/local
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory

Note: I already had gcc installed (earlier version) so I used gcc. The
first time
I installed gcc, I used SGI cc. It worked fine, but a lot of warning
messages
showed up during the build process which I ignored, as gcc ran ok after
installation.

   % gmake bootstrap
     (this took a long time.)

    % gmake install

3) tcl-8.2.1

   configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure  --prefix=/usr/local/tcl-8.2
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory --enable-gcc

   make:
   % gmake

    test:
   % gmake test

   The following were the test statistics that was printed at the end:
all.tcl:        Total   8742    Passed  7974    Skipped 764     Failed
4
Sourced 119 Test Files.
Files with failing tests: socket.test
Number of tests skipped for each constraint:
        15      95
        16      doTestsWithRemoteServer
        48      emptyTest
        2       hasIsoLocale
        27      knownBug
        122     macOnly
        154     nonPortable
        16      nt
        331     pcOnly
        27      testthread
        1       umask2
        5       xdev
(Note: I am not sure what the significance is of the failed tests. I
ignored it)

    finally, install:
  % gmake install

4)  tk-8.2.1

   configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure  --prefix=/usr/local/tk-8.2
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory
   make:
   % gmake

    test:
   % gmake test

   The following were the test statistics that was printed at the end:
all.tcl:        Total   6413    Passed  5984    Skipped 423     Failed
6
Sourced 84 Test Files.
Files with failing tests: entry.test unixFont.test unixWm.test
Number of tests skipped for each constraint:
        2       altDisplay
        2       emptyTest
        44      macOnly
        11      macOrPc
        1       nonPOrtable
        131     nonPortable
        230     pcOnly
        1       secureServer
        1       userInteraction
(Note: I am not sure what the significance is of the failed tests. I
ignored it)

    finally, install:
  % gmake install

5) blt-2.4j

   configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure  --prefix=/usr/local/blt2.4
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory
         --with-tcl=/name-of-directory-where-tcl-installed
         --with-tk=/name-of-directory-where-tk-installed
         --with-cc=gcc

Configuration results:

  tcl.h      found in  -I/usr/local/tcl8.2/include
  tk.h       found in  -I/usr/local/tk8.2/include
  X11/Xlib.h found in  -I
  libtcl.a   found in  -L/usr/local/tcl8.2/lib -ltcl8.2${TCL_DBGX}
  libtk.a    found in  -L/usr/local/tk8.2/lib -ltk8.2
  libX11.a   found in  -L -lX11

Directories where BLT is to be installed:

  "$prefix" is /usr/local/blt2.4
  "$exec_prefix" is /usr/local/blt2.4

  bltwish      to be installed in  ${exec_prefix}/bin
  libBLT.a     to be installed in  ${exec_prefix}/lib
  scripts      to be installed in  /usr/local/blt2.4/lib/blt2.4
  manual pages to be installed in  ${prefix}/man

  gmake and install are straightforward.
   To run the demos cd to lib/blt2.4/demos and type
    bltwish <name-of-file to demo>

    I tried only a few demos, and they worked fine.

6)  libtool-1.3.3

    configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure --prefix=/usr/local
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory
         --with-gnu-ld

  gmake and install are straightforward.

   % gmake check

    The summary I got was:
    ====================
    1 of 56 tests failed
    ====================
    FAIL: hardcode.test
  (Note: I am not sure what the effect of this failure is)

7)  libffi-1.20

    configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure --prefix=/usr/local/libffi-1.20
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory

  gmake and install are straightforward.

   % gmake test

   I got the following summary:
Structure test 3 found structure passing bug.
  Current versions of GCC are not 100% compliant with the
  n32 ABI.  There is a known problem related to passing
  small structures.  Send a bug report to the gcc maintainers.
Structure test 4 found GCC's structure passing bug.
Structure test 5 found GCC's structure passing bug.

Looks good. No surprises.

(Note: Since it said that it is a known problem, I did not
send a bug report.)

8) zlib-1.1.3
  note:  zlib has to be installed before libpng.

    configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure --prefix=/usr/local/zlib-1.1.3
         --shared

   % gmake test

   test summary:
hello world
uncompress(): hello, hello!
gzread(): hello, hello!
gzgets() after gzseek: hello!
inflate(): hello, hello!
large_inflate(): OK
after inflateSync(): hello, hello!
inflate with dictionary: hello, hello!
                *** zlib test OK ***

   % gmake install

9)  libpng-1.0.3

   I used the makefile Marcus had posted on swarm-support. Use
   that makefile to make and install. (See Marcus's email of
    10/12/99 for his version)

   My modified makefile (changed the path names) reproduced below:
 ************************
CC=gcc
# where make install puts libpng.a, libpng.so*, and png.h
prefix=/usr/local/libpng-1.0.3
libdir=$(prefix)/lib
includedir=$(prefix)/include

# Where the zlib library and include files are located
#ZLIBLIB=/usr/local/lib
#ZLIBINC=/usr/local/include
ZLIBLIB=/usr/local/zlib-1.1.3/lib
ZLIBINC=/usr/local/zlib-1.1.3/include

WARNMORE=-Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow \
         -Wmissing-declarations -Wtraditional -Wcast-align \
         -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes #-Wconversion

#CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops
CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -Wall
LDFLAGS=-L$(ZLIBLIB) -lpng -lz -lm

#RANLIB=ranlib
RANLIB=echo

# read libpng.txt or png.h to see why PNGMAJ is 2.  You should not
# have to change it.
PNGMAJ = 2
PNGMIN = 1.0.3
PNGVER = $(PNGMAJ).$(PNGMIN)

OBJS = png.o pngset.o pngget.o pngrutil.o pngtrans.o pngwutil.o \
       pngread.o pngrio.o pngwio.o pngwrite.o pngrtran.o \
       pngwtran.o pngmem.o pngerror.o pngpread.o

OBJSDLL = $(OBJS:.o=.lo)

.SUFFIXES:      .c .o .lo

.c.lo:
        libtool --mode=compile $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) -fPIC $*.c

all: libpng.a libpng.la pngtest

libpng.a: $(OBJS)
        ar rc $@ $(OBJS)
        $(RANLIB) $@

libpng.la: $(OBJSDLL)
        libtool --mode=link     $(CC) -version-info $(PNGMAJ):0:0 -o
libpng.la -rpath $(libdir) $(OBJSDLL)

pngtest: pngtest.o libpng.la
        libtool --mode=link $(CC) -o pngtest $(CFLAGS) pngtest.o
libpng.la $(LDFLAGS)

test: pngtest
        ./pngtest

install: libpng.a libpng.la
        address@hidden $(includedir) $(libdir)
        cp png.h pngconf.h $(includedir)
        chmod 644 $(includedir)/png.h $(includedir)/pngconf.h
        libtool --mode=install cp libpng.la $(libdir)
        cp libpng.a $(libdir)
        libtool --mode=finish $(libdir)

clean:
        /bin/rm -f *.o *.lo libpng.a libpng.la pngtest pngout.png
.libs/*

# DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE -- make depend depends on it.

png.o png.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngerror.o pngerror.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngrio.o pngrio.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngwio.o pngwio.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngmem.o pngmem.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngset.o pngset.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngget.o pngget.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngread.o pngread.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngrtran.o pngrtran.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngrutil.o pngrutil.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngtrans.o pngtrans.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngwrite.o pngwrite.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngwtran.o pngwtran.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngwutil.o pngwutil.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngpread.o pngpread.lo: png.h pngconf.h

pngtest.o: png.h pngconf.h

  Running the test I got the following:
Testing libpng version 1.0.3
   with zlib   version 1.1.3

 libpng version 1.0.3 - January 14, 1999
   Copyright (c) 1995, 1996 Guy Eric Schalnat, Group 42, Inc.
   Copyright (c) 1996, 1997 Andreas Dilger
   Copyright (c) 1998, 1999, Glenn Randers-Pehrson
Testing pngtest.png:
 Pass 0: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 1: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 2: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 3: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 4: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 5: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
         rwrwrwrwrw
 Pass 6: rwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrwrw
         rwrwrwrwrwrw PASS (9782 zero samples)
 tIME = 7 Jun 1996 17:58:08 +0000
libpng passes test
\
10)  HDF5-1.0.2
 note: hdf5 has to be installed before R

   configure:
   % /name-of-source-directory/configure  --prefix=/usr/local
         --srcdir=/name-of-source-directory

  gmake and install are straightforward.
  All the tests were reported as passed with a few tests skipped.

11)  R-0.65.1

   For this I used the script Marcus had posted on swarm-support and
modified it to use the paths on my machine.  Script file reproduced
below.

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH="-L/usr/local/hdf5-1.2.0/lib"
SRC=/usr/local/gnu/R-0.65.1
ldflags="-L/usr/local/hdf5-1.2.0/lib"
FC="/usr/local/bin/g77 $ldflags" LDFLAGS=$ldflags CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/swarm/hdf5-1.2.0/include -I/usr/local/include"
$SRC/configure --prefix=/usr/local/swarm/R-0.65 --srcdir=$SRC
gmake

 % gmake test

 fails simple-tests. The following line generates error on my machine:
abs(1- .Machine$double.xmax *
10^(-.Machine$double.max.exp*log10(2)))/Meps < 1e3
 returns FALSE instead of TRUE.

I did send a detailed bug report to the R core team and they said they
would
look into it, but no guarantee of fixing it as they do not have access
to a
SGI machine.  We have SPlus installed on our machines, so I ran the
same test under SPlus, but got back TRUE and not FALSE. I reported this
also
to the R core team. I have not heard back from them yet. Since I do not
use
R as yet, this is not a priority for me.

12)  Swarm-2.0.1

  For this I used the configure script that Marcus had posted on
swarm-support
and changed it only to add the hdf5 directory.  I did not use Java.

   Marcus's script reproduced below, with my changes:

#!/bin/sh
P=/usr/local
SWARMSRCDIR=$S/swarm-1999-10-09
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc CFLAGS=-O2 $SWARMSRCDIR/configure
--srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR
--prefix=$P/swarm-2.0.1 --with-pngdir=$P/libpng-1.0.3
--with-zlibdir=$P/zlib-1.1.3
--with-ffidir=$P/libffi-1.20 --without-jdkdir
--with-hdf5dir=$P/hdf5-1.2.0 --with-tcldir=$P/tcl8.2
--with-tkdir=$P/tk8.2
--with-bltdir=$P/blt2.4 --with-xpmlibdir=/usr/lib32
gmake

 (See Marcus's email 10/09/1999 for detail explanations of the options.)
   Get the XPM with the right executable format.