What I found out about memory usage with xprint

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: What I found out about memory usage with xprint
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:37:43 -0500

I found using xprint(aZone) on a zone with lots of objects gives this
kind of uninformative statement:

0x81d4718: Zone_c, display name: Zone_c
> number of objects in population: 9
> total size of objects in population: 360
> number of internal objects:   0  total size: 0
> number of internal blocks:    0  total size: 0
> number of alloc blocks:      0  total size: 0

However, I did create 3 special zones, one for a Swarm Map, one for a
SwarmList, and one for a Map Index.  These say the total sizes are 24,
20, and 16, respectively.  I'm guessing these are bytes!

0x81d47f8: Zone_c, display name: Zone_c            //This is the Swarm
Map by itself
> number of objects in population: 1
> total size of objects in population: 24
> number of internal objects:   1  total size: 20
> number of internal blocks:    0  total size: 0
> number of alloc blocks:      0  total size: 0
0x81d4868: Zone_c, display name: Zone_c            //This is the Swarm
List by itself
> number of objects in population: 1
> total size of objects in population: 20
> number of internal objects:   0  total size: 0
> number of internal blocks:    2  total size: 24
> number of alloc blocks:      0  total size: 0
0x81d48d8: Zone_c, display name: Zone_c           //This is the Swarm
Map index
> number of objects in population: 1
> total size of objects in population: 16
> number of internal objects:   1  total size: 20
> number of internal blocks:    0  total size: 0
> number of alloc blocks:      0  total size: 0

Now I don't understand:

1. Why is the total size of objects in population smaller than the total
size of the number of internal objects.

2.  What is an internal object or block, incidentally?

3.  The total size of the list or Map does not change as the simulation
proceeds. I expected they would change because objects are added and
removed from the lists.  It seems like these lists ought to change in
size because for each new object it has to create the struct that points
to the previous, next, and current.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn