What I found out about memory usage with xprint

From: jalex
Subject: What I found out about memory usage with xprint
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 13:29:47 -0700 (PDT)

Paul E. Johnson writes:

> Now I don't understand:
>
> 3.  The total size of the list or Map does not change as the simulation
> proceeds. I expected they would change because objects are added and
> removed from the lists.  It seems like these lists ought to change in
> size because for each new object it has to create the struct that points
> to the previous, next, and current.

I would guess that the list size does not reflect the total amount of
memory consumed by objects stored in the list, but rather the amount
of memory consumed by the list object itself.  On one hand, this seems
to make sense.  The total size of the objects stored in the list could
fluctuate wildly over the course of a simulation, and since (I
suspect) few people need an accurate report of the total amount of
memory consumed by objects stored in the list, providing this would
just introduce (mostly) unnecessary overhead due to bookkeeping.

But that's just a guess.

Cheers,

Jason