Re: [JBuilder] Multiple packages per JAR

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: [JBuilder] Multiple packages per JAR
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:46:42 -0500

Yep, I agree w/ Nick. I've heard of problems in the past with resolving the
same package hierarchy across multiple jars, but not the other way around.
Maybe this is just because most packages are in the same bottom-most
directories (ie com.mycom.blah.blah) but I don't think so. Sounds like the jar
file or your JBuilder settings may somehow be messed.

VC is a little more striaghtforward, you just include the jar in a list of
input class files. I imgaine this just sticks them in the class path. This is
all you should have to do; there's nothing really to 'install', you just have
to let the vm know all the places that a package hierarchy might be located.

OT: Of course, perhaps JBuilder does things its way so that it can have the
info it needs when deployment time comes. But I don't really trust these tools
to do my deployment anyway. Its funny, the more I use these IDEs, the more I
find myself using them as glorified text editors, and doing the complicated
stuff with batch [simple make] files. Its not like debuggers are very helpful
anyway, so I'm beginning to think an IDE doesn't add a _huge_ amount of value
for me. At least you always know what's happening when you're calling the
compiler directly.

Historically, figuring out class paths was the hardest thing for people to get
a hold on in Java. It just seemed to create endless confusion and frustration,
but jars have really helped to rationalize things.

-Miles

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

"glen e. p. ropella" wrote:

> Well, welly, well, well.  I wonder, then, if it has something
> to do with the Swarm environment?  I wouldn't think so, though.
> It's possible that there's some peculiarity in the particular
> packages I'm importing.  Do you import the libraries in a
> specific way?  I tried to use the Project/Properties/Libraries/New
> to install both packages in the same library using the same jar
> file.

That's exactly how I install any jar'ed collection of files. As you say,
installing the jar installs all the packages in that jar as a single
library. Whenever I include that library with Project/Properties/Add
JBuilder can then see all the packages. Seems like it might be something
funny with the jar you're working with.

Nick

--

Nick Collier