Re: [JBuilder] Multiple packages per JAR

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: [JBuilder] Multiple packages per JAR
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:04:29 -0800

At 06:46 PM 11/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
directories (ie com.mycom.blah.blah) but I don't think so. Sounds like the jar file or your JBuilder settings may somehow be messed.

Well, I don't have time to figure it out just now.  I did
create the jar in several different ways with 2 different
tools (JBuilder's deployment wizard and the 1.2 sdk jar tool)
and got the same results.  I'll probably do more debugging
later. (As the whispered "yeah, right" percolates through
the room, eh? [grin])

tools to do my deployment anyway. Its funny, the more I use these IDEs, the more I find myself using them as glorified text editors, and doing the complicated stuff with batch [simple make] files. Its not like debuggers are very helpful anyway, so I'm beginning to think an IDE doesn't add a _huge_ amount of value for me. At least you always know what's happening when you're calling the compiler directly.

That's funny.  I find myself using emacs as my text editor and
importing the file into an ide to compile, run, and deploy the
project.  Hmmm.

Historically, figuring out class paths was the hardest thing for people to get a hold on in Java. It just seemed to create endless confusion and frustration, but jars have really helped to rationalize things.

Well, for me that part is pretty easy.  I have environments
for kaffe, 1.1 jdk, 1.2 sdk, visual age, and jbuilder.  I
even have a latent 1.2beta4 with jini lying about for
regression testing. [grin]  For me, while jars may have provided
another library format, it doesn't really do anything to reduce
the complexity of the development environment as a whole. [sigh]
Anybody who claims "progress" exists in any realm, including
technology, has blinders on.  But, I'm cynical at the moment.

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= Feeding the hamster wheel.  Hail Eris!
Home: http://www.trail.com/~gepr                (505) 424-0448