Re: Java clarification please

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Java clarification please
Date: 09 Dec 1999 15:58:06 -0800

PJ> Today I learned the Borland JBuilder thing for linux & java is
PJ> released.  Free.

I think you mean "you can run JBuilder on Linux-based systems without
paying money for it", not "you are free to do what you want with the
JBuilder source code".

PJ> 1. To a new visitor, this is really confusing.  How is the
PJ> Blackdown JDK implementaiton from Sun's source code likely to be
PJ> different from Sun's implementation?  Is one better?

If you follow the links on the JBuilder site, you'll come to an
"earlyAccess" JDK 1.2.2 release candidiate download page for Linux.
It says: "The Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition port to Linux was made
possible by the efforst of several volunteers of theBlackdown porting
team." [etc]

PJ>  A. I know for certain Swarm works with the Blackdown JDK.  Is it
PJ> supposed to work with this Sun one?

It should, unless the new SUN JDK 1.2.2 Linux distribution has bugs.

PJ>  B. Is Swarm compiled against one likely to work if the other is
PJ> just installed in its place?

It's likely.

PJ>  C. Is the JBuilder thing really going to get worked up if I try
PJ> to run it with the Blackdown jdk1.2.2 where it expects to find the
PJ> Sun one?

JBuilder just runs the Java interpreter as a subprocess; I think either will
work, but I suggest you follow the JBuilder instructions.