Re: memberships

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: memberships
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:15:59 +0000

"M. Lang / S. Railsback" wrote:

> glen e. p. ropella wrote:
> >
> > It looks to me like we have somewhere between 200 and
> > 300 participants in the Swarm community.  And yet we only
> > have 6 members:
>
> Think of SDG as a co-op where everyone needs to contribute a little and
> we all get a lot back.

I'm sure we all agree that without Swarm we'd be lost... if not because
some of us work with such meagre budgets that we can't afford to pay for
off-the-shelf software and would probably end up writing our own (that
would be nowhere near as good as Swarm). Gratitude cannot always be
expressed in pecuniary terms .... particularly when it is voluntary.

Consider my situation, for example. My job title is a post-doctoral
research scientist, yet I am a full-time employee of a governmental/charitable
organisation, and I work on a team of three on a project using Swarm.
So should I pay $25000, 3 * $500 or 3 * $75? I could probably negotiate
3 * $75 (so, buying a couple of hours of Marcus' time, maybe), but since
the payment is voluntary..... I hate to say this, but there is an irony
in that if we *had* to pay, say, $1000 for a Swarm licence, we'd probably
stump up the readies, because we're locked-in to Swarm now....

Go ahead, roast my mailbox....

Gary

--

Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen. AB15 8QH
Tel: +44 (0) 1224 318611               Email: address@hidden