Re: testing memory problems

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: testing memory problems
Date: 14 Jan 2000 17:05:40 -0800

JR> I'll let you know whether I manage to make it work.

FYI, with recent versions of GDB on Linux-based systems, jdk1.2.2 may
just lock up when you say "run".  (I don't know why and haven't
investigated.)  If that happens to you, you may be able to start up
your model, and *then* run gdb, using the `attach' feature of gdb get
control.

Otherwise, please feel free to upload your model to
ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/users-contrib/incoming, posting
any info that might be needed to reproduce the problem.  While there
may be occasions that someone can suggest a trick or recognize a
particular bug pattern, the most robust way to get to an answer
is to make it possible for folks to run real code.

If your model is proprietary somehow, then test cases are the only way
to go.  (And if you're confident in the hypothesis about the failure, not
really as much of a hassle to write as you might think.)