Re: making movies

From: M. Lang/S. Railsback
Subject: Re: making movies
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 09:15:46 -0800

Darren Schreiber wrote:

> Some Swarmer also recommended GifConstruction Set for Windows at
> http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gcsdemo.html

That would have been me. I routinely use this approach and there is at
least one animation so produced at
http://weasel.cnrs.humboldt.edu/~simsys

GIFConstruction Set has a wizard that you can learn and be making movies
from .PNG files in about 3 minutes. And it gives you control over how
fast the movie runs (milliseconds per frame- a parameter in the GIF
movie's control block).

Actually our code is:

-(void) writeFrame {
  char filename[256];
  id pixID;

 sprintf(filename, "Model%03d_Frame%03ld.png", modelNumber,
getCurrentTime());

 pixID =  [Pixmap createBegin: [self getZone]];
 [pixID  setWidget: worldRaster];
 pixID = [pixID createEnd];
 [pixID save: filename];
 [pixID drop];

}

And, as documented in the Swarm documentation, if you skip the
setWidget: statement, it captures the whole screen.

HOWEVER (Marcus): We still have a problem in Windows that when we try to
capture the whole screen we only get about the left 2/3 of it.

Steve