Re: making movies

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: making movies
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:54:01 -0800

This is the bit of code that I have used to generate pngs automatically
within my modelswarm (shamelessly lifted from someone else's code
(heatbugs?)).  It will only create a pic of the one widget specified, but I
believe you could simply copy it and change the setWidget: to some other
object if you want to get pics of your graphs etc.

-takeAPicture  {
  char filename[40];

  sprintf(filename, "pic%07d.png", getCurrentTime());
  //[actionCache doTkEvents];
  [[[[[[Pixmap createBegin: [self getZone]]
        setWidget: graphCanvas]
       setDecorationsFlag: NO]
      createEnd] save: filename] drop];

  return self;
}

The result is a number of png files that I then converted to gifs (using
GraphicConverter 3.7 for Mac) and bound together as an animated gif (using
Gifbuilder 0.5 for Mac).  The software was simple and I was very pleased
with the results (see for yourself at http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~dschreib)

Some Swarmer also recommended GifConstruction Set for Windows at
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gcsdemo.html

Best of luck...

        Darren

                 Darren Schreiber