Re: GCC for Mac OS X (fwd)

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: GCC for Mac OS X (fwd)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 06:36:04 -0500 (EST)

The main hurdle for running ObjC Swarm applications on non-Unix platforms
has always been the dependence on gcc's version of ObjC (since there's no
standard for ObjC). The Swarm team will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong
but I think there's two implications. First, the fact that gcc is being
ported to MacOS X, along with the fact that MacOS X will be "FreeBSD with
a Mac GUI", means that eventually you will be able to run ObjC Swarm
applications natively under MacOS X (FreeBSD is a free version of Unix,
analogous to Linux, so almost everything you can do on Linux should also
be possible on FreeBSD/MacOS X). Second, there would perhaps be a
possibility of making a real "MacSwarm" variant, with native MacOS
menus, etc.

At one point Apple was pushing ObjC as the canonical programming language
for MacOS X (because they bought NeXT). I think they've backed down from
that, but MacOS X *may* still have very good ObjC support (perhaps even
better than Unix), for all of you ObjC fans. I haven't kept up with all of
Apple's announcements about MacOS X, though, so I might be wrong on this
point.
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                              address@hidden
University of Michigan Center for the Study of Complex Systems