Re: GCC for Mac OS X (fwd)

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: GCC for Mac OS X (fwd)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:56:58 -0800

I have been trying to keep on top of Mac OS X developments and I can
clarify a little of what Ted said.

Mac OS X will integrate a number of features.

1.  At the core is Darwin -- based on the Mach kernel and FreeBSD, Apple is
touting this as a tried and true Unix version with the benefits of
stability and security.  Darwin is also going to be more or less "open
source."

2.  On top of that will be a graphics environment built with Quartz (a
version of Adobe technology).  Quartz will enhance the visual interface,
but also have cool features like allowing all programs to save files in
PDF.  Also, Apple will be integrating OpenGL, for enhanced 2D and 3D
graphics.

3.  The next level of the OS will be in three distinct packages:
   A.  Classic -- will allow full legacy compatibility.  All existing MacOS
software will run as-is, but not benefit from the enhancements offered with
the Darwin core.

   B.  Carbon -- allows software to be easily modified to take advantage of
preemptive multitasking, protected memory, and the other benefits of using
a Unix core.

   C.  Cocoa -- this is where Objective C comes in.  This will provide a
"whole new toolbox for building the best next-generation applications."

4.  On top of it all is a new user-interface, Aqua, that will take
advantage of modern processor speeds and graphic capability.  As it's name
would suggest, its got a number of translucent, flowing images and is
intended to make it easier for our grandmothers to use and for hardcore
users to get stuff done.

The story I have heard regarding Objective C is that Apple is currently
downplaying the Cocoa aspect in order to build developer support.  They
want to convey the message that little (i.e. Carbon) or nothing (i.e.
Classic) will need to be done for their products to work with OS X.

But, my understanding is that once OS X is out (late summer or fall) and
accepted, they will start touting the Objective C tools.

Building up a large user base of Objective C coders will obviously have
benefits for Swarm.  Perhaps all the out of print books on the language
will come back in and some new stuff written.

Obviously, I'm a big Mac/Apple fan... so take it all with a grain of salt.
But, I (and the stock market apparently) believe Apple has some promising
new stuff coming out soon.

        Darren