Re: Swarm 2.0.1

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Swarm 2.0.1
Date: 13 Feb 2000 01:23:43 -0700

[...]

RP> I am running gcc, gdb (4.17.0.11), tcl (8.0.5), tk (8.0.5) on
RP> RedHat 6.0.  Please shed some light on this.

RP> Also, I tried to get the binary distribution that you have on your
RP> website( for RedHat 6.0) but when I click the files for a
RP> download, the files just open up as html files on the browser. It
RP> will be great if you can help me there too!

I assume you're trying to download the RPMs for Swarm.  If you're in
Netscape, you need to _right click_ on the URL, or select "Save to
disk" from the menu.  Netscape and Internet Explorer (annoyingly)
doesn't recognize `.rpm' as a binary format (since they're more
oriented towards Mac/Microsloth Windoze users), and so defaults to
displaying it in the browser.

Btw, the top of the donwload webpage
(http://www.swarm.org/release-swarm.html), does mention this:

"If downloading a binary from within your web browser, you should do
it in such a way that the browser never displays the file on the
screen. If you save a file after viewing it, many browsers corrupt
it. In Netscape, shift-clicking the url will save it directly to
disk."

It's really best to install the RPM, rather than try and compile from
source, as it's much faster, easier and less error-prone.
--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242
Santa Fe Institute (www.santafe.edu) & Swarm Development Group (www.swarm.org)