.libs/xxx file created when running swarm2.1.1 apps?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: .libs/xxx file created when running swarm2.1.1 apps?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:26:17 -0400 (EDT)

(This is running under redhat, swarm2.1.1 made with
kaffe and hdf5, shared libs is the default, i guess.)

I see that a directory with a couple of files seems to
be created whenever i run swarm apps under swarm2.1.1, eg,
running the heatbugs app gave:

address@hidden heatbugs]$ dir .libs
total 124
-rwxr-xr-x   1 appl     appl        62211 Jul 22 18:34 heatbugs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 appl     appl        62339 Jul 22 18:34 lt-heatbugs

and when i ran one of mine i got:

formica-rlr)dir .libs
total 68
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rlr      car        125533 Jul 22 18:31 tipping

I didn't see this in the FAQ and I couldn't find anything
about it in swarm-support (maybe I missed it?).
I don't know what it is, but i would guess its some sort
of file to help the loading go faster?

The problem is it seems to create this as a subdirectory
under the location of the binary being run.
Thus someone other than the owner of the app trying
to run it gets the following in some cases:

formica:~$ tipping
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
/s1/users/rlr/Courses/ISR-00/Src/Tipping/.libs/21837-lt-tipping:
Permission denied
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

In particular, this happened to me when
the tipping model was first made and run (by the owner) under the
default swarm2.1.1 make with debugging, but then i remade
it later with -O2 optimization versoin of swarm, but didn't
run the optimized version as the owner.
when I tried to run that remade tipping from a non-owner
account it gave the above error, until i then ran
the optimized tipping from the owner account, when it then
created the .libs/lt-tipping file:

formica-rlr)dir .libs
total 136
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rlr      car        125629 Jul 23 11:17 lt-tipping
-rwxr-xr-x   1 rlr      car        125533 Jul 22 18:31 tipping

So....I see that i have to be sure to run it as owner
before telling other people to run it (not a bad idea
on its, own, i suppose!), but perhaps this all
should be discussed in the FAQ and/or other documentation
(if its not already...as i said, maybe i just didn't find it).

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html