Announcing Ecolab4 project (fwd)

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Announcing Ecolab4 project (fwd)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:11:31 +1100 (EST)

I'm posting the enclosed announcement of an open source modeling
project in the hope it might be of interest to the Swarm
community. For various reasons I haven't found Swarm to be useful for
my modeling work because of lack of language features in Objective
C. The recent Java interfaces have not helped me either. By the same
token, C++ which has the necessary features I need for my models lacks
a number of useful features employed by Swarm. I have been inspired by
many of the developments in Swarm, and have implemented a number of
them in my Ecolab modelling system, which is implemented in C++. What
I have wished for for a number of years now was a simple way to
integrate C++ models into the Swarm framework so as to leverage on all
the good work done in the Swarm world.

Recently, I have developed an automated "object descriptor" technology
for C++ which promises to do exactly that. This is described in a
paper that I will be presenting at Complex Systems 2000 at Dunedin,
New Zealand in November. The paper is online at the Ecolab website. I
did a brief poster presentation on this at Alife 7, and spoke to a few
people there about it.

> Friends and Colleagues,
>       I have now placed the Ecolab 4 sources under AEGIS, a source
> code tracking and control system similar, but more comprehensive than
> CVS. I now invite anyone who is interested in contributing to Ecolab
> development to register as an Ecolab developer (by sending me an
> email, with a preferred userid). I have placed on the Ecolab web site
> (http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks/ecolab) some developers notes on
> how to interact with AEGIS so you needn't read the 106 page users
> guide to get started.
>
> I will be giving a presentation on Ecolab 4 at Complex Systems 2000 at
> Dunedin in November.

                                        Cheers

Dr. Russell Standish                     Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965
Australia                                address@hidden