Re: upgrade time?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: upgrade time?
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:11:11 -0700

CS> I can keep my current gcc, which is from package egcs-1.1.2-12, (this is
CS> maybe 2.91.66?) or I could upgrade gcc maybe only to some version you
CS> recommend, like 2.95.2?

I would suggest using 2.95.2.

gdb 5.0: ok
libffi: don't need this on Intel machines, Swarm will use the included avcall
kaffe 1.0.6: should be fine
libpng 1.0.8: should be fine
make 3.79.1: ok
BLT 2.4u: ok
tcl 8.3.1: ok
tk 8.3.1: ok
xpm: IIRC, Paul said that xpm was a part of the Redhat 7 X11 install
zlib 1.1.3: ok

CS> In the needed software directory of Swarm.org updated March 15th, every
CS> single item is at a different version level, except zlib.
CS> ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed/

Yeah, those will be updated when there is a new release, and everything
is tested together.

CS> Is it necessary to install Swarm-2.1.1 also, or is the difference between
CS> 2.1 and 2.1.1 purely a windows thing, as I seem to recall?

If you're going to do a source build, I'd suggest grabbing the
current sources from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing.
..lots of bug-fixes.