Re: upgrade time?..not if you want your machine to work 3 weeks hence...

From: Miles Parker
Subject: Re: upgrade time?..not if you want your machine to work 3 weeks hence...:-)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:05:40 -0400

Couldn't resist contributing this slashdot article RH7:

"I got this email today from Red Hat. RH7 will crash out of the box in 3 weeks!
The new Update Agent provided with Red Hat Linux 7.0 contains a daemon, rhnsd,
which periodically polls Red Hat Network for updates. This daemon leaks file
descriptors. On a default installation, all available file descriptors will be
used by rhnsd in approximately three weeks, making the system unusable."

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/11/1341237&mode=nested

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
http://www.brook.edu/es/dynamics/models/ascape
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319

>>> address@hidden 10/11/00 03:24PM >>>
What exactly were the "issues" with gcc 2.96 again?  I have Swarm 2.1, with
the latest entry in the ChangeLog being from 2/21/00.

I notice this pretty new CD of RedHat 7 just laying around the office, and
wonder if it will screw anything up?   In a real break from my personal
tradition, I'm not going to try to not just upgrade the OS first and then
see what breaks.

Hoping to get answers like, "go ahead, no problems," or "Install swarm-2.1.1
and then there'll be no problems,"  and not answers like "get the latest CVS
snapshot and then there'll be only problems you can fix by editing the
following list of files before building."

Are any of the Swarm "needed software" updates in RH7 besides gcc
problematic at all?  From
http://www.redhat.com/products/software/linux/pl_rhl7.html
Red Hat 7 includes:
BLT 2.4u
gcc 2.96
gdb 5.0
kaffe 1.0.6
libffi -- none!?  my machine has package 1.20-1 right now, although this
includes a file /usr/lib/libffi.so.1.1.3 as the highest.
libpng 1.0.8
make 3.79.1
tcl 8.3.1
tk 8.3.1
xpm -- none!? my machine has package 3.4j-5, although this includes a file
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.10 as the highest.
zlib 1.1.3

In the needed software directory of Swarm.org updated March 15th, every
single item is at a different version level, except zlib.
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/needed/

Thanks,
Cody