Re: upgrade time?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: upgrade time?
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:00:47 -0500

"Stumpo VIII, Cody (C.M.)" wrote:

> OK, gcc 2.96 bad.
>
> If I install the latest version of all those other packages I mentioned,
> will those be problematic?

I got on the RH7 bandwagon because I expected people to want RPMs for
swarm, otherwise I would stay with 6.2, and use gcc-2.95.2.Get the gcc
from my software directory, its been patched to make the objc errors go
away.

The gcc shipped with RH7 is screwed up in at least two respects. cpp
doesn't work the way some programs expect and c++ usage is majorly
troublesome.  Even after I did get Swarm to compile by taking out
-Werror, I found that programs like lyx and Texmacs don't compile.
RedHat is aware of the problem and is sharing the blame between the
devel version of gcc and these applications that make certain
usages/assumptions.

It appears you can't just remove gcc-2.96 and retrofit gcc-2.95.2
because, at least in my test, there appear to be C library
inconsistencies. (the new glibc breaks gcc-2.95.2, in other words).

> Is it necessary to install Swarm-2.1.1 also, or is the difference between
> 2.1 and 2.1.1 purely a windows thing, as I seem to recall?

The new RPMS have some significantly enhanced scheduling features that I
think are important.  Especially if you aspire to work with hierarchical
swarms, and you need randomization of events arriving in the various
levels of the schedule, you want the newer one.  Now the Averager class
has a variant that can be used by agents to keep averages or moving
averages to summarize their experience. That's handy, I think.

I am talking about editions like 2.1.16 and such for which I'm offering
RPMS.